Pages

Friday, December 16, 2011

What this Holiday season really means...

I was in downtown SF the other day and noticed this homeless man walking in front of me.  He was carrying all that he owned and just walking with no real purpose, my heart went out to him.  I had a $20 bill burning a hole in my pocket and I had the impulse to give it to him.  Then I hesitated as this seemed like a rash thing to do.  I was prompted to look at my iPhone at that moment and the time was 11:11.  When you are prompted to look at a clock at 11:11, it's your guides saying hello and showing you that you are not alone.  I took this as a sign and walked up to the man and handed him that $20 and said a simple "Happy Holidays," and continued on.

The reason I am posting this is because I NOTICED HIM.  I noticed him and felt love for him as a fellow human being.  I didn't just walk on by him pretending that I didn't see him.  I realized that he is SOMEBODY and he has a purpose here just like us.  Can you imagine what it must be like, to be ignored all the time, to have no love or a warm place to call home?  

I guess what I am trying to say is this:
Be thankful for what you have
The love of family and friends
A warm house
Food to feed your family
Health
This time of year we all get caught up in the stress and busyness of the Holidays and we tend to forget and take for granted the things that really matter.

Next time you see a homeless person or a person in need, say hi and really notice them.  Show them that you care, give them some money if you have it, some food, a warm coat or socks or just give them a smile.  

We are all in this together and we are all sisters and brothers!




1 comment: